I’m excited to share my July Beauty Talk segment with you guys! I asked Kayla Kernel, the author of the beauty blog Peace Love and Glitter, to be my July interview because she’s a fellow product junkie and beauty blogger like me! She also knows a thing or two about looking her best because Kayla is a former NFL and AFL cheerleader (she cheered for the Kansas City Chiefs!) and she’s a trained, professional dancer. Kayla has even danced with country superstar Toby Keith as a Whiskey Girl. She’s also currently studying to become an esthetician. Here’s my beauty interview with the lovely miss Kayla!
What are your 5 beauty product essentials?
1. SPF: The sun is the #1 enemy for those of us fighting wrinkles (and skin cancer… which I assume everyone is). My favorite moisturizer with sunscreen for my oily skin is the Image Daily Defense Matte Moisturizer, SPF 30. This the only SPF 30 that I’ve found that doesn’t make my skin look and feel greasy. I NEVER leave the house without it.
2. Body Lotion: No matter who you are, no matter what do you, it’s important to take time for yourself. I think everyone should take an extra 5 minutes post-shower to lather your body with some lotion. Love yourself, because you deserve it . It makes a world of a difference! My favorite is the EOS Revitalizing Care Hand & Body Lotion. It’s creamy, not greasy, and has an easy to dispense pump.
3. Mascara: Anyone can swipe on one quick coat and it can instantly make a difference. As a drugstore mascara hoarder, I’ve finally put my trust into the Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara. My lashes grow straight out (my Asian sisters can relate). I always curl with my Shu Uemura, but then my lash routine goes horribly awry when the mascara takes the curl out of my lashes. This mascara holds the curl without being clumpy.
4. A good pair of tennis shoes: Beauty is not only on the outside, it’s also a feeling. Throw on your tennies, take a walk, go for a jog, go take a Zumba class, whatever floats your boat. Instead of focusing on the task at hand, remember the euphoric feeling that you experience post work out . It affects your overall well-being. My favorite pair is the Reebok Runtone running shoe.
5. High heels: Every girl needs at least ONE pair of shoes that makes her feel like she could take over the world (or in my case, a jillion). Whether it’s a sensible kitten heel or a 6 inch stiletto, find that special pair of shoes.
*Note, some of the shoes pictured have been discontinued, the links include similar dupes*
Who is your beauty icon?
Victoria Beckham. She is the only other person who wears high heels to completely impractical places (like the grocery store). I’m no Mrs. Beckham, I’m just a ridiculous person who believes stilettos are acceptable to wear to the local Piggly Wiggly.
The natural look: underrated or overrated?
Underrated! I love natural make up, in fact I find it more challenging to create a look that appears like you aren’t wearing any make up. However, there are also some days when I just want to cover my face with glitter. Just depends on my mood.
Quick beauty tip?
Drink lots of H20 and wear SPF.
When do you feel your prettiest?
In my heels. I can walk out of the door in jean shorts without a lick of make up, but as long as I have a pair of heels on, I feel secure.
What are three things you always carry in your purse?
Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm, Face Secrets Oil Absorbing Blotting Papers (best and cheapest ones out on the market), and MAC Lipstick in Lovelorn (the perfect MLBB (my lips but better) for my olive, NC30 skin.).
What is your least expensive beauty item that you love?
What is your most expensive beauty product that you love?
GM Collin Native Collagen Gel. It’s the best thing that I’ve ever put on my face. Seriously.
As a professional dancer and a former NFL/AFL Cheerleader, fitness must be an important part of your life. What is your fitness routine?
When I cheered I was a lot more disciplined with my diet and exercise. I’m talking two-a-days in the gym and protein shakes galore. It’s also part of the reason that I quit cheering, working out became my job instead of something that I enjoyed doing. Nowadays, I maintain my petite physique by doing cardio 3-5 times a week, watching my carbs, and avoiding processed foods. I also allow myself to indulge ever so often, because life is just too short to not eat a cheeseburger .
Quick slim-down tip?
Watch your carbs, exercise, and up your protein. Combine both cardio and strength training. If you indulge, run an extra mile.
Favorite healthy snack?
Fruit and raw almonds. I eat a lot of bananas. Both are good snacks for people who suffer from a cooking deficiency, like myself.
Favorite part of being a beauty blogger?
Having my own personal, public outlet and having readers that share the same interest in beauty products. I’ve also enjoyed making friends from all over the world with some of my readers and fellow bloggers .
I hope you enjoyed my beauty interview with the beautiful Kayla! Check out her blog for beauty trends and honest product reviews. Also, show her some love by following her on Twitter and liking her Facebook page! You can also find her on Instagram (username: @peaceloveandglitter).